Small update regarding my Artkal mishap. Luckily someone I know had their direct e-mail, because after waiting almost 4 days with no response on AliExpress I did hear back via e-mail. They are sending me out my missing bags of beads via China Mail, so hopefully they wont take too long to get here.
Still don’t know why the bags are wet inside. But I bought some resealable baggies from the dollar store to transfer the beads into after I dry them. Which I will be doing now.
I will post again when I receive my missing beads.
Not fuse bead related buuuuuut…
Guess who’s getting a puppy!?
I’m excited! I’m on a waiting list, cause the puppies haven’t been born yet, but the first week of September they will be born and then 10 days or so later I get to go meet them and pick out the one I want :D
Looks like I’ll be makin’ a Luigi to match Mario this weekend! Expect pictures ;D
Then expect me to disappear for a while cause I also bought Reaper of Souls today >_>
For whatever reason, Tumblr is being dumblr and not letting me add the link as a video.
Here is a tutorial I recorded when I made that Tangled sun. I went to record some audio today and found it far to difficult, so I gave up and made text annotations instead.
If you’re interested, this is how I make my larger sprites. I don’t iron each piece separately then combine them or anything, cause I find that makes awful seams.
Anyways. Enjoy. Link to part two is in the description of part one. And as always, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
I’m using the 5mm beads. I believe the baggies said Midi on them too.
I have 2 new patterns to try out them Artkal beads on, I just don’t think 500 of each color is going to be enough |:
However, I have to find out if the people who requested them are happy with them first.
Either way, more stuff in the works. Plus, I’m still working on that mural! I’ve just been busy with some other stuff. Like preparing for and entering a Photography competition!
After getting my shipment of Artkal beads in, I set out to do a bunch of testing to compare them to Perler’s beads. I wanted to know not only what colors were very similar, but I wanted to know how they melted and how they looked when melted. Soo, here are my findings! Click the image to see it full size on Photobucket.
First off, this is all the beads spread out in the order I have them in my storage drawer thing. I know this image is kinda small, but that’s okay. The little pieces of paper in the beads are the Artkal numbers, but don’t fret if you can’t read em, I’ll be posting another image below.
Now I label all my little drawers with names, so Perler’s beads are named by the names they were given. Artkal however, only has numbers. Or maybe they do have names, but I just can’t understand them. Either way, I gave them my own names for my drawers and my master list I made up. If it’s easier for anyone, this is the master list I made. It uses pictures from the actual ordering sites, not ones I took. As I expected, the beads tend to be a different color then pictured. Perfect example is S61, which I called Light Olive. It’s not Olive at all.
Okay, moving along.
The first thing I wanted to know what what the beads looked like when they melted and how they melted. So I made a big ‘ol square of all 100 colors I had and ironed it. This is the end product.
Each color is labeled. Perler’s colors are the P’s and Artkal’s start with S. Normally I prefer to leave a lot more of a hole in the middle, so I ironed the other side they way I would normally do it. The colors are not labeled, but are just mirrored from the first image. You can see that here, and if you wanted to see them not ironed at all that is here, which is also not labeled.
I found that the Artkal’s melted more circular and retained that shape where the Perler’s tend to kinda mush out and fill space more. I also noticed the Artkal beads are a bit glossy. It was mentioned to me that I might have ironed them too hot though. The Perler beads also sealed up faster then most of the Artkal’s.
After testing the melting, it was time to see what colors matched Perler’s colors. The colors I chose for this test were ones that I felt were very similar to each other. Sorry if this is a little confusing, I realized after when I went to check something myself that it was a bit wonky to read. Hopefully y’all can get the point.
Based on this test, you can see there are a couple colors that you wouldn’t need both Perler and Artkal for. In my opinion, these are the colors I think look almost identical; P05 or S34, P56 or S52, and P03 or S14. Other colors that could also be left out are P17 or S05, P33 or S19, P10 or S20, P58 or S30, P08 or S11 and lastly, P38 or S26. To see these comparisons not ironed or labeled, click here!
Overall, I like the beads! I’m excited to have new colors, and look forward to using them in new and exciting projects!
If anyone has any questions at all, feel free to shoot me a message! I’ll also be posting my findings over at Pixelgasm, so expect that in the near future!